- Tuesday, 21 August 2018 22:12
When Aretha Franklin died last week after a long battle with pancreatic cancer, she allegedly did not leave a will. She is survived by her four sons, one of whom has special needs, who will receive equal shares of her estate. Her niece asked to be appointed as representative of her $80 million estate. Aretha’s copyright attorney told reporters that when there is no will, “there will always end up being a fight.”
Some points of relevant interest:
1. No one wins a long battle with pancreatic cancer. See Jobs, Steve. Prepare a will.
2. When a woman dies without a will, there should not be much to dispute because there are no illegitimate children to contest heirship.
3. The niece’s fee for serving as personal rep. could be $1.6 million. One of the sons should have dibs on this role.
4. Surprisingly, Madonna did not ask to be appointed as personal representative.
Photo Credit: Jae C. Hong/AP
License: Fair Use/Education (from linked article)
- Monday, 20 August 2018 10:40
Janice and I dropped Jack at Ohio State on Saturday, closing the “married with children at home” chapter of our lives. He did not take the super hero lunch box.
- Wednesday, 08 August 2018 21:11
Jeff Richardson is a New Orleans attorney who writes a blog named iPhoneJD. He posts about matters concerning iPhones (and other iOS devices) and the practice of law. He asked me to write a post about the apps I prefer. Because I have too much free time, I obliged.
- Thursday, 02 August 2018 09:20
Peter Knoll was the heir to the Hans Knoll furniture fortune. After his father died when he was 13. Peter dropped out of Columbia University after a few semesters and allegedly never worked a day in his life. Knoll died earlier this year from hypothermia in his $10 million NY townhouse which was without heat since 2014.
1. Complicated and eccentric does not mean mentally incompetent.
2. Complicated and eccentric people do complicated and eccentric things such as ignoring their children in favor a boarding school they attended long ago.
3. We all know that NY is cold in the winter while Florida is warm, but if the children had visited their dad in the winter and realized he did not have gas in his house, he might have left them more than $50K.
Photo Credit: Handout (from linked article)
License: Fair Use/Education