A 19 year old woman in Denmark was declared brain dead and her family was advised to remove her respirator. The family agreed to donate her organs. When the respirator was removed, she did not die and instead recovered, causing a small national controversy.
The primary lesson is that one’s health care proxy should be someone who exercises caution and does not make impetuous decisions, especially for younger individuals. Secondarily, I am surprised that the victim was not a U.S. tourist. After having spent $9 on a Starbucks latte and $22 for a hamburger in Copenhagen this summer, I found their cost of living to be breathtaking if not nearly coma inducing due to shock.